Thursday, September 01, 2005

The perfect storm

One of the first things Mom said to me on the phone this afternoon was, “You’ve never been to New Orleans, have you?” I’m the only one in the family who has never been. Her next words were, “This will probably be the end of the city as we know it.
No flippant comments about apocalypses will be forthcoming.
I grew up with hurricanes, but this one, this Katrina, beats all the ones I ever knew or saw or tracked on our refridgerator door.
All my hopes are for a low loss of life; alas it appears that the loss of beauty and history cannot be stopped.---from Keri's Blog, "Brain Flotsam"August 28th, 2005.



In this post I will fail to mention my crappy car or how sorry my life is .There's a reason for that, there are others that are worse off than me. Yes. I'm talking Katrina. Just because everyone else is talking about her doesn't mean I shouldn't either. Though I have noticed many things about this particular tragedy.
mostly its the lack of comment from the U.N and Europe. J-chan put it much better than I ever could in his blog. he much much better at communication than I.
but I digress.
the others I've heard is the people blaming the Governor others are blaming global warming (which is,of course, all our fault) an still others blaming the Army Corps of Engineers.
to top it off there are looters.
Boortz has a cute little poll as what should be done with the looters, I will keep my answer to my self, instead I will tell you that one of these Theiving Assholes is quoted as saying, "To be honest with you, people who are oppressed all their lives, man, it's an opportunity to get back at society."
hmm huh..GET BACK AT society rather than GIVE BACK TO society Lovely, lovely people in the human race yes?
What are my suggestions? I wish I had one other than pray in whatever way your faith teaches and give where you can.
Did I ever mention I was less than 10 Miles away when the Jarrell tornado of '97 hit? I lost family and friends in that storm
so I feel for those who have lost so much in New Orleans. To them I say, Be thankful you are alive. Be glad you have what family and friends you still have. Mourn those you have lost, but not so much that it clouds the rest of your existence.
Remember the happy times.
I say this to all that bother to read this...I am here. Post a response or email me... I will be glad to talk. I mean it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home